Monday, April 1, 2013

Time flies...

Today is my son's first birthday.
    I simply cannot believe it has been a whole year already! And I am incredibly greatful for the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. I have given up hours of sleep, fun events with friends, and the ever valuable paycheck for a hard week of work, every week. In the past year my electricity has been cut off 4 times, my water has been cut off 3 times, and we got evicted for 2 weeks, until we came up with the money to settle our arrears. All because I was not bringing in an income.

     Now I have been enrolled in online school, full time, since last April and I possess a skill to generate income. Sewing. As financially difficult as it is to be a stay at home mom in this world where smartphones are almost a necessity, and gas is as valuable as cash (almost) I still would not trade it for the world.

      Every fight that my husband and I have had in the last year about money, and how to get more of it without sacrificing every moment I spend with my first born (and hopefully all the other children that come along) has been worth it. I can honestly say, no one has prepared me for the emotional roller coaster of my child's first birthday. I don't think it ever occurred to anyone.

       Now let me tell you about my son. Because as every parent knows, my child(ren) are amazing, they are my whole world, and they will someday be citizens of the world, and with any luck they will be mentally, physically and emotionally healthy to take on their role as responsible individuals.

 My son's name is Ethan Fox, named after our best friend, mentor and my marriage's Number 1 advocate Dave Fox. We hope to have Dave be a large influence on Ethan's life and personality. When My son was born, he was 2 weeks early (so the doctor's say, I don't believe it) and weighed in at 8lbs and 13oz and was 22.25 inches long. He was a very strong baby, and obviously very large! At 3 days old he stretched his little legs while daddy was holding him, and almost jumped out of his arms, that is how strong he is!

   By the time he was 2 months old, he was scooting 2 feet or more across the floor rubbing his face into the carpet because he hadn't figured out how to use his arms yet. By the time he was 4 months old he was low crawling (arms and legs) and doing baby push ups and had learned to bring his knees up underneath him in the crawl position. At 6 months old he was crawling. The day after he learned to crawl, he was pulling himself up on all the furniture! At 8 months he could stand by himself and at 10 months exactly he was walking!

     My son is  a gift from God, there is not one person who would fail to see that. He is curious, ingenious and hysterically funny! He is a very happy child (like I was when I was young) Today he is 30 inches tall and 30 lbs. He has made a family out of my husband and I. (and our dog Ricochet) He is a beautiful and loving child, and he has my whole heart. I am sad that his first year has already passed us, but excited to see who he shall become.

          Happy first birthday Ethan, mommy and daddy love you so!

No comments:

Post a Comment